Monday, March 24, 2014

I-81 near Christiansburg (3/24/2014)

Maybe a strange picture today, but I am a teacher in erosion and sediment control for the state.  On my way to western Virginia to teach one of my classes I drove by this and felt the need to take a picture of it.  This is a prime example of how not to do erosion control.  It is one of the first things we say and still people do not listen.  It is somewhat infuriating, knowing that the soil that runs of this hill will end up in a stream and then we complain that the streams have cloudy water, and that the fish cannot live in that stream any longer etc etc..

I realize that I am over simplifying things a bit, but all these little things impact the big picture.  That is what we call cumulative effect.  If we do not do anything about these little things, eventually it is all going to multiply and become a big thing.  But that is what we call the tragedy of the commons; shared resources are abused. The theory is that shared resources such as air, water or grazing grounds that are owned by society are difficult to protect; because if I don't pollute them, or if I don't over-graze, my neighbor will, so I might as well do it now.  I am tired while writing this, it has been a long day, but it is so important and to me it often seems to be the crux of our troubles.  Kind of like "great that you are driving a Prius or another fuel efficient vehicle, because that gives me more gas for my Hummer.  I know this is much more complex, but that is how I feel tonight.  I'll write more about this one of these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment