Wednesday, May 11, 2016

To blog or not to blog, that is the question (5/11/2016)

If you are a blogger and read my posts, I have an interesting and a somewhat important (to me that is) question for you.  Why do you blog?  I am not one hundred percent sure why I blog (or actually I have 8 reasons), and that is probably why I have not broken through as this world famous blogger that is making a lot of money with my blogs.  Actually, I don’t even advertise on my blogs, so I have yet to make a penny on them, and really that's not why I do this.  But reading the newspaper this weekend about this famous stay-at-home mom blogging about her trials and tribulations raising kids and everyone following her and making money hand-over-fist, I wonder, am I missing something?  Or should I just quit?  Maybe I miss direction?  I am a dilatant, I know a little bit about a lot of things; l write about nature, training, sailing, stormwater, the environment, human communication and now this kind of stuff.  On top of that I try to show, what I think are pretty pictures that I took during my travels.  On top of that I sometimes mix all these things together together to make my and my reader's heads spin.  Look at the labels on the side of my blog, it is absolutely crazy!  A key word for everyone.  Maybe that's why I have only 100 to 200 or so readers every month.  But who cares?  So why do I do it?  Do I do it for the readers and the followers?  Or am I just egotistical?

To tell you the truth, these are the 8 reasons why I blog:
  1. I started out to share my photographs and dig a little deeper, different and more philosophical than what I can do on my Facebook site or my Instagram site,
  2. The blog became somewhat of a diary, but not a superficial "what did I do on vacation type diary" like Facebook that I share with friends,
  3. I tried to share my passion for sailing and share some of my experiences of fixing up my boat and sailing with the sailing community,
  4. I wanted to show the beauty of some of the far out-of-the-way areas in Virginia that I visit during my extensive travels in the state,
  5. I wanted to share my passion for the environment,
  6. I wanted to share my passion for teaching,
  7. In my first writing class I took in college learned that you need to practice writing and for me the blog hopefully is helping me with my writing skills.  I sorely need this, since I am in the process of writing a book, and 
  8. Finally, this is a good distraction from all my other writing and creative efforts; it is a different way to let my creative juices flow.
So the question remains, if you are a blogger, do you have similar reasons why you blog or are they different?

But that last point, creativity, that is important isn't it?  Why is it important to be creative?  For me it is one way I can enjoy life; a way to look back on a day, on an event, and be:
  1. Grateful for the experiences I have had during the day and during my life.  It is important and fun to record them in words and photographs; to be happy about them and share them,
  2. These experiences, the memories and writing about them nourish the soul,
  3. I’m having fun writing,
  4. It just inspires me,
  5. It makes me think, reason and figure out things like sentence structure and logic,
  6. In some sense it gives me the feeling of human connectedness with you all out there that read my blog, although I don't known you, and 
  7. While it is not part of writing, the getting outside gives me exercise, takes care of my nature deficit disorder, and when I describe it I get to relive it.
Yes,a lot of this harks back to a lot of self improvement books that I've read about purposefull living, such as Dr. Sood's book in my reading list.  But I mean it.  My blog is an expression of gratefulness for being alive (after some of my life experiences), for being in love with my wife, my daughter, and happy the majority of the time!  Yes, I have to remind myself to be grateful when I'm depressed and down.  Dr. Sood teaches us to mention 5 things we are grateful for when we wake up in the morning before we get up out of bed.  Well, I usually write about about them in my blog.
  
On the other hand, if you are a regular reader, why the heck do you come back to this blog?   Because you never know what to expect?  Because of the photography (sorry guys no pictures today)?  Because you are a friend, family or a follower?

I realize that I wrote about blogging before (click <here> to see that entry), and hopefully this is an addendum to that blog and brings it a little further (Just an update, the photography class is well received and I am still having fun).   But yes, there are times I need to soul search,  look inside and try to figure out what I'm doing and why and hope to help you on your way as well!

6 comments:

  1. Some of us just have to express some creativity and writing is how we do that. I don't make any money blogging either. I blog about my hobbies and I write philosophy. I wrote long before there were blogs, even fiction occasionally. For a while I wrote professionally. I got $0.20/word. That was 25 years ago. I tried writing for the modern net and can make only $0.01 or $0.02/word. An example of globalization driving everything to the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us just have to express some creativity and writing is how we do that. I don't make any money blogging either. I blog about my hobbies and I write philosophy. I wrote long before there were blogs, even fiction occasionally. For a while I wrote professionally. I got $0.20/word. That was 25 years ago. I tried writing for the modern net and can make only $0.01 or $0.02/word. An example of globalization driving everything to the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still figuring out why I blog. I started as a way to teach myself things and later became a way to share my experiences with others. But I come back to your blog because it's unique. I like seeing your pictures and reading your insights. I take away something new every time, a smile, a pondering thought or I learned something new. For that, thank you. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote a new post about why I blog and write.
    Some more soul searching, I guess.
    https://vanomad.blogspot.com/2021/11/why-do-i-write-11232021.html

    ReplyDelete