Saturday, September 5, 2026

Amazing is far too Simple (09/05/2026)

“You have such an amazing experience.” That is something we hear every so now and then. However, the recent floods in Nepal brought back memories that make the word “amazing” feel far too simple. As some of you obviously have discovered in my posts, we lived in Nepal in the 1980s, from 1981 through the first half of 1983, and the news this week was deeply distressing. We have been glued to the news about the disaster. We endured two monsoons during our time in Nepal; and let me tell you they are not fun. The monsoon unleashed a torrent of rain when it reaches Nepal and since the Himalayas are among the youngest mountains, they are very unstable. The result was that in our first year there, we had to navigate through landslides that literally happened the night before. I also pulled two companions out of a raging stream before they got swept away. That scene still plays itself out in front of my eyes, now 45 years later. It was very distressing. By the second monsoon, we had learned enough to leave on vacation and take a trip that carried us around the world.

While what happened in Nepal recently occurred during a monsoon, it most likely the consequence of a global phenomenon called global warming or climate change. Glaciers are becoming unstable and then monsoonal rains on top of these unstable ice sheets can result in what happened in Nepal.

But let’s get back to our lives with those amazing experiences that these people allude to. I realize that this sounds somewhat self-indulgent, but these postings are a mix of what has been and is going on in my life, as well as some of my observations. In addition to Nepal, we have spent time in many foreign countries and in regions throughout the U.S. This includes Uganda during a civil war, Nepal, Yemen and the Netherlands. In the U.S. we lived in Delaware, Utah, New Mexico, Ohio, North Carolina and Virginia. I alone briefly lived in Washington State. Here in Virginia people may ask whether we were in the military or if we were missionaries, and the answer would be “no.” We wanted to explore the world and there is no better way to do that than working in international development. You get to play tourist for at least two years in one country or region. But eventually I chose to complete my education and we returned state-side.

Recently, some folks have labeled us a “cute couple.” While I am not absolutely sure what that means, I assume it has to do with our age, the time we have been together and how we interact with each other and the people we meet. Yes, we now realize that during our 49-year marriage we definitively have lived a very full life. It has been full of experiences that many folks do not have. While many experiences were joyful, fascinating and simply good, some were absolutely awful, but all together, I cannot help feeling very blessed. I once concluded that if I were to die now, I would have lived a wonderful life. Not that I wish it would end, there are many more adventures and experiences I want to enjoy. Right now, the adventures include camping throughout the US and Canada, and visits to my grandson and of course his parents.

A while ago I realized that I will probably never see him graduate college, some 20+years from now. I sincerely hope to publish all my blog posts in book-form one of these days to leave some sort of legacy. Even the recent disaster in Nepal should be part of that.

I apologize for this somewhat strange post. No, it is not meant as a form of bragging. For me it is more like soul searching. To conclude, maybe our lives have been extraordinary to some, and we should not be arrogant about it? Was our experience intentional or accidental? I think the answer is emphatic, yes! It has been a fun ride, and I hope it will continue, but hopefully with fewer natural disasters and other mishaps. I hope that I can continue informing, educating and sometimes maybe a little bragging.

Photo from 1982, when we we were on our way to Mustang on the Tibetan plateau for work.





No comments:

Post a Comment