Thursday, February 25, 2021

COVID-19 Vaccine (02/25/2021)

I had my second COVID vaccination this week. Let me tell you it felt great. Actually it did not hurt, and psychologically it felt great too, knowing that I will be somewhat protected. I felt particularly good knowing that I was helping protecting others as well. On top of that, according to doctor radio: even if I get it, it seems that these shots should keep me out of the hospital and from getting seriously ill with all those complications. Since the shot was today (as of writing this section) it feels strange, but now I am sitting back waiting to start feeling crappy because of the vaccination; something I am somewhat happy about and looking forward to.

Holding my passport to maybe dining out one of these days.  That is one of those things I have missed the most.  While I like cooking and get bored with all the same restaurant food.  I am almost at my one-year anniversary (March 11) of house arrest.  

We are slowly increasing the number of people who are vaccinated against COVID-19. What amazes me is that there are still people holding out and do not want to get the vaccine. Reasons abound; the mother of a friend of our daughter is waiting for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine while her 80 or so heart patient husband is not vaccinated, as well. She does not trust the RNA vaccine. Others you hear tell folks that they do not deserve it since they are younger than others who are still waiting. It also seems that that many minority neighborhoods don’t have access to the vaccine; no CVS, or whatever is needed to distribute it.

While the lack of minority vaccinations is a different clear symptom of the racial and economic injustice, the former is pure ignorance and stupidity. Folks should realize that anyone who gets vaccinated is one less person who can potentially infect someone else. Moreover, there is one less person in whom the virus would be able to mutate and create or form a new variant. As we are seeing, variants like those from South Africa, Brazil and England are scary, more virulent, and might not sensitive to the vaccine. These variants are able to continue killing folks, maybe even at larger numbers. This is what herd immunity is all about and the drive to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. In other words, you should not feel guilty that you get the shot while someone else who might be more deserving still has to wait. Again, we want herd immunity and everyone helps. By being vaccinated, you slow down the spread and reduce the chance on mutations.

So yes, I am happy I am getting my shots and contributing to herd immunity and help protecting other folks who have not yet gotten their shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment