Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The creative mind (1/29/19)

I was sitting through an online class on creativity the other day. The instructor was trying to convince the class that there were no specially creative or non-creative people in the world (sorry Picasso), but that we all could learn to be creative. Learning to be creative that is an interesting concept, especially for someone like me who develops classes for people who need continuing education credits; writes a blog; works on bonsai; bakes bread; and actually likes to garden (although it does not show, partially thanks to the darn deer). But then, I think there is a difference between creative and artistic, so maybe Picasso still rules.

The instructor had a few interesting points. One was that when you need to come up with ideas you go through a cycle. He used an example of designing a toy to be inserted in a cereal box for a western town, in the time of cowboys and Indians (150 years ago). First, folks came up with ideas that everybody seems to come up with, then they hit a slump. At that point it seems, you can only break through the slump by coming up with some ridiculous or hilarious idea that does not make any sense at all. You dismiss it, and then all the sudden the creative juices are supposed to start to flow and novel, creative ideas pop up.

Another interesting point was not to shy away from criticism or from criticizing an idea or thought. It seems only then can you grow and come up with even better, stronger and more creative ideas. Be especially critical of yourself.

I forgot the other lessons (there were four) but these two stuck with me.

This last point in particular is very interesting since a quick search on the web gave me these four points to become more creative:

  1. Give yourself permission to create junk
  2. Create on a schedule
  3. Finish something
  4. Stop judging your own work
It is particular this last point which seems to contradict the point I learned in this online class.

I’ll throw out one more list I found:

  1. Train yourself to make original associations
  2. Be open to new experiences
  3. Make time to go for a walk
  4. Add more green to your life
  5. Keep a cluttered desk
  6. Don’t be afraid to stand out
  7. Refine your ideas: Clarify, ideate, develop, implement
  8. Know the importance of setting time to relax
  9. Practice, practice, practice
I get a number of emails from “news or blog” websites that send you a summary of things in which they think you might be interested. One of them bombards me with writing tips (“things you may like”), and the number one tip is to write every day, even if you have nothing to say. Just write! This is what seems to make you a better writer. I guess that gives you permission to practice and create junk. It might even open up some pathways to new, original associations and help you refine ideas. In the sermon writing group I joined early last year, we started out with just writing something for the first 20 minutes.  It could just be words, junk or a story, you were even allowed to draw pictures; it did not matter, and you did not have to read it out loud, share it, or even talk about it.

I am not a professional writer, nor do I have the ambition of even becoming one. Would I want to make money with my writing? As some of you know, I have been and still are struggling with the idea of allowing advertising on my blog and making a few bucks. I watch a number of vlogs (also known as video blogs) and the other day I read that this 30+ year old guy can actually live comfortably in the Philippines of his vlog (I actually don’t watch his). There seem to be many more that are able to do that. I have always assumed that you cannot do that from blogs and I do not think anyone would want to see my ugly face on their computer screen or tablet.

It was just interesting to see and learn the other day that creativity is a thing that can learned and cultivated. Artistry on the other hand may be a different thing. Where does my creativity come from? Most of my blog posts come from associations. I read something, hear an item on the news and it just bounces back and forth in that big empty skull of mine. Many of my posts may be the result of something green in my life. Bullet 3 and 4 in that last list are very significant to me. A lot of my ideas come to me in nature, during my walks. The woods are my inspiration, the source of my creativity. Moreover, during those walks in the woods I also often think about what I am writing about at the time; I edit those things in my mind, I rewrite them over and over.

Forestry
Walking in the woods behind our home really serves as an inspiration and meditation for me.  It gets me away from day-to-day life.  It allows me to focus on my creativity, to think up ideas, to allow my mind to work through ideas and even to write posts and parts of my classes in my head.

I often write my blogs, stories, and responses to the news in my head, edit it and rewrite it a couple of times up there. I do the same thing with the courses I develop. As I explained it to my supervisor one time: “Then, all the sudden, I barf it out onto the computer screen or on paper.”

So what is my suggestion? Cultivate your creativity. Have fun, throw enough at the wall and something will stick. I have had months of drought and then all the sudden it will come again, but it only comes when you do it even if you do not feel creative at the time.

This was one of the assignments in the creativity class I watched on LinkedIn.  The assignment was to come up with two complete sentences in 7 minutes to put in the middle of these two sentences to make a story that somehow make sense.  It is allowed to be ridiculous and there is no correct answer!  I have gotten a lot of value from LinkedIn, relationships, posts, but also these types of free classes.

1 comment:

  1. You know, some people leave and others transform. ;) I'll still be reading you.

    ReplyDelete