Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The goodbye tour continues, Lynchburg. (3/29/2023)

Last week’s Jan’s farewell tour brought me to Lynchburg. I have written so much about this town. I speculated about good old Jerry Falwell and his kinky hobby of watching his wife in bed with younger studs. I wrote about my secret perversion of watching young female students in skimpy outfits studying the bible at Panera’s or Starbucks. I wrote about my pain of visiting Lynchburg the day we had to put Jake the dog to sleep, my visit to a new hotel, and so on.

Lynchburg has been one of my richest subjects to write about in my blogs. In other words, traveling there, “what was there to write about?” Or so I thought. Please understand, I like this town, even though it is somewhat conservative, courtesy of Liberty University and its location in the center of the state. The downtown has a great vibe, some neat restaurants and two microbreweries to boot.

My first evening was somewhat boring. Google sent me the regular way and after checking into the hotel and a brief rest, I went to grab a beer a Starhill. This brewery serves great beer, but is just not very exciting to me. But I had to visit them since this was a goodbye trip.

Another must visit was Bootleggers. This is a sophisticated burger and bourbon joint with a nice view. Lynchburg has a boardwalk of sorts, high up with a view along which there are restaurants and apartments. Bootleggers is one of them. I noticed that huge burgers still turn my stomach after I consumed about half of one. It tasted great, but it is just too much. Beer selection was fair. Desert was great. A three-and-a-half-star place for me (out of five). It was a cold walk back to the hotel; some claimed it was the coldest evening of the winter.

The second day was more exciting, at least after teaching. I met a friend for beer. He had a thumb drive for me with pictures that I want to use for a presentation that I will be giving after my retirement. Well, he ran into a friend who had heard about me and literally greeted me with “Oh my god, so you are the famous Jan.” This gentleman used to be the director of public works in the area and all his staff had gone through my classes and mentioned me. He had now gotten an even more important position iin town. A little later another gentleman showed up who turned our the be the director of the school district. We just had a fun time sitting around the table drinking a brew and talking about different things.

Once the party was over, I stopped over at my favorite Japanese restaurant for a ramen dinner and just had a very satisfying late afternoon and dinner. It was a shame that my regular companion Doug who lives in town could not be there this time. He had to teach elsewhere. But I had fun. Just a good few days to remember the times I stayed in Lynchburg.
The view from my table at Bootleggers.




No comments:

Post a Comment