Monday, June 1, 2015

Chesapeake Bay (5/31/2015)

Boy it was a sailing Sunday.  First a friend of mine and I took my boat over the Wormley Creek Marina to get hauled for a bottom job (the subject of my next post).  We expected some wind and that proved to be somewhat wrong.  It started out good, but around the end things were slow.  We were bucking the tide, and although it looked like we were making some headway based on the wake and current around the boat, our GPS showed we made 0.0 knots over the ground.  In fact we were actually drifting somewhat.  Frustrating but it was fun anyway.  The two pictures below show the approach to the creek and us getting ready to dock the Beagle.



I'm really impressed by Wormley Creek Marina; if I was not a member of the club, I can see having my boat there.  

I was tired and overheated when I got home; jumped in the shower and we ran out to meet friends for what we thought was a moonlight sail on their boat.  Well, the weather had turned and we had a steady 20 knot wind and 3 to 4 foot waves on our part of the Bay.  Thank goodness we were on a 40 foot boat with a reefed main, but we were still flying 8 knots at times.  When we got back, it showed that the highest wind gust we had was 29 knots.  It was an exhilarating sail.


When we got home and downloaded the pictures we were struck how small our Catalina 25 was compared to the Pearson 40 we sailed that evening. 

Nothing really deep to write about today, except maybe that being out on the water is exhilarating at times; without time to think about all the things around you.  You are just in the zone, concentrating on sailing.



No comments:

Post a Comment