Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Chesapeake Bay (11/11/2014)

I found a quote from L.A. Meyer in an article by Lisa Frost in the recent Old Boat magazine that also applies to me: "We clear the harbor and the wind catches her sails and my beautiful ship leans over ever so gracefully, and her elegant bow cuts clearly into the increasing chop of the waves.  I take a deep breath and my chest expands and my heart starts thumping so strongly i fear others might see it beat through the cloth of my jacket.  I face the wind and my lips peel back from my teeth in a grin of pure joy."

I think that most sailors feel that way.  There is something magical in sailing a boat.  For me it is when I shut off the outboard and the boat keeps going propelled by the wind.  It is an amazing thing, the silence and the feel of the boat underneath you.  I simply love it.

This was the feeling I had going out on Tuesday.  It was misty and the winds were light.  But despite all that it was still exhilarating to be out, to shut off the motor, pull it up and settle in at the helm for a few hours sail with a friend.  During our sail trip we saw lots of overwintering water fowl, a few recreational fishing boats and one of the scallop boats (pictured below).  We got a little wet but felt sad when we had to start the engine and return to port.

No comments:

Post a Comment