Thursday, April 21, 2022

Hotels 7 and 8, Boy what a shower. (4/21/2022)

Traveling doesn’t stop. Ever since I wrote about my last visit to Lynchburg, I have been in Fredericksburg and the Blacksburg area. My observations are interesting; while the places are great, the hotels are marginal. But let me go into more details.

I stayed at two different chains in these two places. I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in Fredericksburg and a Holiday Inn in the Blacksburg area. Both rooms were clean, the beds were good, and things were fairly good. It surprised me initially that there was no room tidying any longer during the day in any of the hotels when you stay more than one night. In the old days, you came back from a long day and the trash can was emptied, the bed was made, and you had new pods for the coffee maker. Now, I am no slob, and I can use my towel two days in a row, so I am fine. However, a clean waste basket would be nice. Another thing I noticed, and this was at both hotels, the restaurants were closed on Monday night. This was not a huge thing since both places were located in an area that has a lot of restaurants nearby.

Breakfast at the Hilton was a bit below par, so much so that I skipped it the next day and went to Panera. It was just too expensive for what you got. With the current economy it saves the hotels money on staff and hopefully keeps the prices low. Thank goodness indications are that unemployment numbers are low and there seems to be a dearth of hospitality workers.

At the Hilton Garden Inn.  This time I had a better view from the 5th floor.  I actually got to watch fireworks one evening.


I had a similar experience at the Holiday Inn. Not that I ever eat there at night, but the restaurant was closed on Monday night, and the for-pay breakfast was expensive and self-service. The scariest part was getting in the shower. The floor around the down drain was soft, so soft that standing in the area made me fear that I would sink through the floor to the room below. Actually, my room was above the pool, and that would have been a riot, a nude, soapy dude falling through the ceiling in the deep end. What an entry!

Looking out of my second-floor window from the Holiday Inn in Christiansburg.  In the background you can see the Huckleberry bike trail.  I did not bring my bike because the forecast was for very cold weather.  Both photos were inspired by the Hopper exhibit I visited a few years ago


Concluding things in both hotels looked a bit run down and not maintained. Yes, I am sure that Covid is partially to blame for it, including the lack of available personnel. Overall, the visits to the localities were great. It was nice to visit areas I had not been to in 2 to 3 years. Great to try old and new restaurants, see students I had not seen for 2 years and to see spring in the mountains of Virginia. Overall, things have changed a bit, but not for the worst, just different in some places. Fun to see, as long as you don’t sink through the shower floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment