Saturday, July 24, 2021

Bugs (7/24/2021)

I currently have Japanese beetles in my bonsai, white fly, wooly aphids, and potato leaf hoppers, just to name a few. Pesticides that wipe out all of them will also kill the beneficial ones like spiders, so I rather patiently pick them off then get out the killer chemicals. Actually, I can shake off the Japanese beetles, relocate the caterpillars, and often use a strong spray of water on the other bugs. I seldomly use soapy water and on a rare occasion some neem oil. I’m sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I am somewhat obsessed about the idea living with as few pesticides around the house as possible since we have bees in the back yard.  In addition, learning about environmental estrogens and alike has gotten me even more against the use of chemicals. Watching people fighting bugs all around us, sometimes with little success, I am afraid that it will wipe out the useful ones such as the honeybees and other important pollinators.

Parts of one of my Siberian elm have been completely denuded by caterpillars.  These elms seem to be favored by leaf eating bugs. 

I am trying to let my crape myrtle trees grow to thicken up the trunk.  But this year the Japanese beetles had a different idea.  I need to go out every morning and shake the bushes.

It is interesting trying to compare the human species to bugs roaming the earth. You have good ones, and you have detrimental ones. Pesticides are somewhat like the natural disasters that might could wipe out humans indiscriminately whether these humans are good the earth or bad. This begs the question, does nature really care we are here? In other words, do we humans really matter? Interesting question, isn’t it? Are we just one of the many bugs on the face of this earth that are annoying her? So, is she sending hurricanes, floods, wildfires, earthquakes, you name it in an effort to exterminate this terrible bug that annoys her? Are they natures soapy water or fly swatter?

It has been quite a week, hasn’t it? Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands flooded. Oregon, California and parts of western Canada are burning. Moreover, they are suffering in sweltering heat. We on the East Coast are breathing in the polluted air from the wildfires. Japan, where the Olympic games have started has a heatwave, and we are predicted to have another one here in the U.S.A. next week. Covid-19 is still difficult to get under control, although this is probably mostly caused by human stubbornness, plain stupidity of some of the bugs (I mean humans), and misinformation. But as I mentioned before, the earth, nature, is angry.

I intent this to be a short post, most of you know where I am coming from. I do not want to bore you. However, I do think it is important to register the flooding in Europe and the wildfires in the west in this post. Yes, it is in the news, but experiencing the smoke here in the east and feeling it in our breathing is really amazing. It is a great example of how interconnected this world is and it shows that what we do here might affect someone else in another place. Something intelligent bugs like bees and ants that live in large colonies have figured out a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment