Monday, March 2, 2020

A bonsai weekend (3/2/2020)

I have had a busy weekend working on my bonsai trees this weekend. This includes re-potting, root pruning and just basic cleanup work of the shoots in some. My Siberian elms are starting to leaf out. This is not a surprise; they are usually the first anyway, but it has been a very warm winter. My flowering quince cutting was flowering in late January, which is really early for a year-old cutting that is only 4 inches tall. However, it was nice to see something like this on my bench. The quince in my yard, from which I took the cutting, was blooming as well in January. 

Not much to show for, but this is my flowering quince.  Yes, it was flowering a few weeks ago.  It is a cutting I took from a larger bush I have in my yard.  I am trying to develop it.  Nothing to show for yet! The two others here are my New Mexico privet and my crape myrtle.
This picture of me was taken two weeks ago.  I was working on my Siberian elm (not yet pruned) and now it has leafed out and it showing it first leaves.  In other words I did not do this too early.  Global warming is even affecting us; in fact if was in the low 70s that day.

Having more than 25 plants that I am working on, it was quite a task and this past Sunday I worked from around 10:30 until 3 pm on some of my trees. I started on one of my Japanese maples. I am playing with two that are the same age. They were seedlings I got from my neighbor Bob; he had dug them out from underneath his older tree. I am growing one of them in a small pot like a shohin (smaller plants that are less than 10 inches). My daughter bought the pot as a present for me in China. The other is growing in a regular flowerpot and twice the size already. Its trunk is thicker as well. I am experimenting with the two as a comparison the see the difference in growth when you restrict the roots. 


Maybe not the best picture, but this is the little maple in the Chinese pot just after repotting.  Hopefully it will do great this year.
I also worked on three pyracanthas that I have growing. All three came out of my father-in-laws yard. He has a hedge and somehow they had seeded out. We had pulled them out of the ground. Two of them barely had any roots and I just stuck them in a pot with some potting soil two years ago. They survived and it was time to do something with them. They will most likely become shohin bonsais. I do not think I will grow them like mames, which are less than 4 inches. 


One of my Pyracanthas, it has a great root system, but now it needs a canopy.  In the background you can see an azalea that I got from a friend (butchered to the max) and a nursery shrub) that I potted down in the hope to eventually bonsai. 

I also worked on two air layers of an azalea from my yard. Two branches were buried in the mulch and when I freed them, they had rooted. What to do but cut them off and stick them in a flowerpot with my regular bonsai mix. Two years later, it was time to split them and pot them up. They had a decent root system and branch structure. I will see what develops. 

I did many other plants, but my pride and joy was a crepe myrtle that I have been training for the past three to four years. This was the first repot, and I was amazed by the wonderful radial root system that this plant was developing. I am feeling much better letting it grow. I was keeping it at 6” but after yesterday, I think that I will let it grow a bit larger to a foot and a half to two feet. It has a root system that will be able to support it. This should also give it a much bigger diameter trunk and nebari (or exposed spreading surface roots). 

Concluding, I am not done yet, but it was fun being busy with my plant. I had little time to think about anything else. Things like the Corona virus, the upcoming primaries or other political crap. Coming back to work, it all came flooding back. Honestly, I cannot wait for the weekend to be back playing with my plants again.

No comments:

Post a Comment