|After an night of frost you can see the small cracks that formed and refroze as a result of the expanding ice, creating this magnificent mosaic.|
|Click <here> to see the site where I found the cartoon and to see many more science cartoons!|
Anyway, I do teach almost daily about the importance of water, about the importance of clean water and about keeping it clean through erosion and sediment control and stormwater management.
|Expanding ice in wet soil causes what we call frost heaving. These soil particles become very loose and can become erodible and end up in our stormwater.|
What can you contribute to keeping our water clean?
- Pick up your animal’s waste, especially when they do it on the road or in or near a place where it will readily enter the stormwater
- Don't over-fertilize or apply too much pesticide to your yard
- When you apply fertilizer or pesticide stay a few yards away from streets or your property boundary
- When you wash your car do it on the lawn not on a paved surface, like your driveway or the road in front of your home. Better, do it at a car wash.
- Don’t poor waste oil or any other wastes down the storm drain
- Minimize the bare soil in our yards and mulch
|The big ephemeral pond behind our home has the same mosaic like features. The water in these ponds is so nice and clean.|